Ghataprabha Wildlife Sanctuary
| This is located in Belgaum district and is spread over 20.78 km². This sanctuary is known for migratory birds like demoiselle crane and European white stork. |
Belgaum district is a district in the state of Karnataka, India. The city of Belgaum is the district headquarters. By the 2001 Census of India, it had a population of 4,214,505 of which 24.03% were urban.  The district has an area of 12,000 square kilometers, and is bounded on the west and north by Maharashtra state, on the northeast by Bijapur District, on the east by Bagalkot District, on the southeast by Gadag District, on the south by Dharawad District and Uttara Kannada districts, and on the southwest by the state of Goa. The languages spoken in this district include Kannada and Marathi.
|Address:This is located in Belgaum district and is spread over 20.78 km². |
|District:Belgaum district |
|Nearest City:Gokak |
|Best time to visit: Oct.-Dec |
|Belgaum is the Divisional Head quarter of North Karnataka The ancient name of the town of Belgaum was Venugrama, meaning Bamboo Village. It is also called as Malnad Pradesh.The most ancient place in the district is Halsi; and this, according to inscriptions on copper plates discovered in its neighborhood, was once the capital of a dynasty of nine Kadamba kings. It appears that from the middle of the 6th century to about 760 the area was held by the Chalukyas, who were succeeded by the Rashtrakutas. After the break-up of the Rashtrakuta power a portion of it survived in the Rattas (875-1250), who from 1210 onward made Venugrama their capital. Inscriptions give evidence of a long struggle between the Rattas and the Kadambas of Goa, who succeeded in the latter years of the 12th century in acquiring and holding part of the district. By 1208, however, the Kadambas had been overthrown by the Rattas, who in their turn succumbed to the Yadavas of Devagiri in 1250. After the overthrow of the Yadavas by the Delhi Sultanate (1320), Belgaum was for a short time under the rule of the latter; but only a few years later the part south of the Ghataprabha River was subject to the Hindu rajas of Vijayanagara. In 1347 the northern part was conquered by the Bahmani Sultanate, which in 1473 took the town of Belgaum and conquered the southern part also. When Aurangzeb overthrew the Bijapur sultans in 1686, Belgaum passed to the Mughals. In 1776 the country was overrun by Hyder Ali of Mysore, but was retaken by the Peshwa with British assistance. In 1818 it was handed over to the British East India Company.In 1836 the southern district continuing to be known as Dharwad, the northern as Belgaum. |
Interesting things to do:
Interesting things to Visit:
Mobile range info:
How to reach?
|Nearest Railway Station:Gokak Rd-2.0, Belgaum-83 |
|Nearest Airport:Bangalore |
|Road Transport:Bus service is available form Bangalore. |
Nearest Visiting places:
| * Hooli Panchalingeshwara temple Hooli 9 km from Savadatti, one of the oldest village in the district, it is famous for 'Panchaligeswara temple. Other ruined Chalukya temples waiting for conservation and restoration. |
* Saundatti Famous for Savadatti Fort. Saundatti Fort, North Karnataka
* Kamala Narayana Temple, Degaon ( Degamve / Devgram ) Degaon Kamala Narayana temple 5 km from Kittur. Degaon Kamala Narayana temple 5 km from Kittur, North Karnataka
* Kasamalgi Parshwanatha Kasamalgi Parshwanatha, 10 km from Kittur and 5 km from Kamala Narayana Temple, Degaon ( Degamve / Devgram ). Kasamalgi Parshwanatha, 5 km from Kittur
* Halasi There is a famous Kadamba temple of Bhuvaraha Narasimha. Bhuvaraha Narasimha temple Halasi, North Karnataka
* Jamboti, 20 km south-west of Belgaum, is a popular tourist spot with its evergreen hilltop forests.
* Varapoha Falls, where the Mandovi River plunges 60 meters, is a beautiful waterfall in Belgaum district.
* Gokak Falls
* Belgaum Fort which is in the heart of the city. The Kote lake is also a beautiful lake to visit. Inside the fort we can find an ancient Kamala Basadi and Chikka Basadi Jain temples. Just few metres walk to this temple you can find Ramkrishna Ashrama where you can relax. There is an ancient Masjid also in the fort.
* Belgaum Cantonment with both Portuguese and British style buildings,churches and schools.
* Parasgad Fort
Nearest Petrol Pump:
Things to carry:
Tips & Suggestions:
Help Line/Phone Number:
|Police Station:Gokak |
|Nearest Hospital:Gokak |
|Society/Community Phone Number |