Menu

Church in Bangalore

Church in Bangalore (10)

For those interested in seeing churches, the best are at Bangalore, Mysore and Mangalore. Though Christianity was propagated by the efforts of the Portuguese in Kanara {coastal area) far earlier than on the plateau, many of the churches they raised on the coast during the 16th to 18th Century were razed to the ground by the Mysore ruler in 1790s. Mangalore has the magnificent St. Rozario Cathedral church with its tall frontal towers. The original building was of 1526, rebuilt in 1910. Milagres Church with beautiful tall facade accommodating many artistic images on its parapet, reminds one of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Equally notable is Our Lady of Sorrow church at Kodialbail
built in 1857. It has a frontal tall wall facade divided into four rectangles of equal size with a pediment atop them. Mangalore has the Shanti Cathedral of the Basel Mission (now C.S.I.) raised in 1862 which is a beautiful simple structure with its complex well-planned layout.Virajpeth in Kodagu has a Catholic Church in Gothic style. It celebrated its bicentenary in 1993. The small Anglican Church in Madikeri, now houses the Government Museum managed by the State Archaeology Department has some rare antiquities and beautiful glass paintings.

The St. Mary’s Church in Belgaum is a huge granite structure built in 1869 in the Camp area with fine piers in the prayer hall and gorgeous stained glass windows. The St. Philomina Church at Mysore with its two tall towers of imposing size can be the pride of any town and the building has a crypt. The Abbe Dubois Church (Srirangapattana) is worth mentioning. Bangalore has its oldest St. Mary’s Basilica in Shivajinagar supposed to be raised around 1600, rebuilt in 1832, and it has a tall Gothic tower at the entrance. St. Marks Cathedral that took the present shape in 1927, is another Imposing structure in the former Cantonment area, now of the Church of South India. The St. Patrick’s Church with North-South alignment is in Greeco-Roman style, was originally built for Irish soldiers in 1844 and rebuilt in 1898. he Trinity Church on the Mahatma Gandhi Road was the official Anglican Church of British times which was attended by Residents and other officers. It took its present shape in 1908, though originally built in 1851, it has fine ionic pillars and a portico with a majestic look. Its nave is 90 feet long and the back-wall has fine wooden carvings.

 

Holy Trinity Church
This beautiful landmark at the east end of the M.G. Road was built in 1848-51. It is built in the English Renaissance style.The church can accommodate 700 people and is regarded as the largest "military" church in Southern India. Read more...

St. Andrew's Kir
The only Scottish Kirk in Bangalore, situated on Cubon Road parallel to MG Road contains stained glass windows depicting Lord Jesus and his eight apostles. A pipe organ was also installed here in 1881. The walls are adorned with polished brass plaques. There is also a plaque of John Cook, the Principal of Central College in Bangalore in 1915.Read more...

Infant Jesus Church
A place happen lots of miracles. prayers are never failed. Visit once or, ask the community to pray. all group will pray for you! The Church has a long history of sacrifice and devotion from the time it was first conceived by Fr Paul Kinatukara in the sixties.Read more...

St Patricks Church
The Parish Priest, Assistant Parish Priest and the Congregation of St. Patrick's Church wish you all a Joyful Easter. May the Peace, Love and Joy of the Risen Lord be with you and your families. Read more...

St Mary's Basilica
This Church situated opposite the Russel Market Square was built as a small chapel in 1818 by Abbe Dubois, oldest Church in Bangalore is the St Mary's Basilica in Shivajinagar which dates back to 1685. St Mary's Basilica, in its present form was bulit in 1875-82 at a total cost of about Rs 30,000. Read more...

Chowdiah Memorial Hall
The Chowdiah Memorial Hall, named after the violin maestro Tirumakudalu Chowdiah, is one of the most prominent landmarks of Malleswaram. Designed in the shape of a violin, the venue is a hub of arts and culture, playing host to a wide array of events - ranging from classical music concerts, to theatre and drama, to prestigious quiz competitions. Read more...

StMarysBasilicar _map

{tabs}{tab=Map1} {mosmap width='100%'|height='400'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|text='Jumma Masjid

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Jumma Masjid'|}{/tab}{tab=Map2} {mosmap width='100%'|height='500px'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|mapType='Satellite'|text='Jumma Masjid

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Jumma Masjid'|}{/tab}{tab=Map3}{/tab}{/tabs}

Read more...

StPatricksChurch_map

{tabs}{tab=Map1} {mosmap width='100%'|height='400'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|text='St Patricks Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

St Patricks Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map2} {mosmap width='100%'|height='500px'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|mapType='Satellite'|text='St Patricks Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

St Patricks Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map3}{/tab}{/tabs}

Read more...

InfantJesusChurch_map

{tabs}{tab=Map1} {mosmap width='100%'|height='400'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|text='Infant Jesus Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Infant Jesus Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map2} {mosmap width='100%'|height='500px'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|mapType='Satellite'|text='Infant Jesus Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Infant Jesus Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map3}{/tab}{/tabs}

Read more...

HolyTrinityChurch_map

{tabs}{tab=Map1} {mosmap width='100%'|height='400'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|text='Holy Trinity Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Holy Trinity Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map2} {mosmap width='100%'|height='500px'|lat='13.72337659'|lon='74.63630676'|mapType='Satellite'|text='Holy Trinity Church

Orissa lies beneath Calcutta and has a coastline stretching all the way down to Andhra Pradesh. Inbetween lies sandy palmcovered beaches, nature, wildlife and religious art/architechture.The Bhubaneswar, Puri, Konark circuit, popularly known as the Golden Triangle of Eastern India, provides an ideal trip of exquisite architectural monuments and historical sites of Orissa.
Orissa, also known as The Soul of India, is a state that has been drenched in mystery for decades. It has now slowly started to show its secrets to the outside world. The state is scattered with temples and holy shrines. Puri, one of the 4 most holy cities in India is also located here. Numerous wildlife sanctuaries, stunning natural landscapes. Orissa is home to Indias ancient civili

Holy Trinity Church'|}{/tab}{tab=Map3}{/tab}{/tabs}

Read more...

Holy Trinity Church: M.G. Road - Christian

Holy Trinity Church: M.G. Road - Christian
This beautiful landmark at the east end of the M.G. Road was built in 1848-51. It is built in the English Renaissance style.The church can accommodate 700 people and is regarded as the largest "military" church in Southern India.
Built in the English Renaissance style in 1848-51, Holy Trinity Church is on the east end of the Mahatma Gandhi Road in Bangalore. The Church was built for the British Army stationed in Bangalore Cantonment.
The church has a tall tower and unparalleled pillars. The three pairs of angels, which are carved in wood, on the roof are noteworthy. There are decorative memorials and articles inside the church which depicts the stories of great men and women.
The great bell of the church, the stained glass at the altar and the baptismal pond at the entrance were brought from London.
The Trinity School and Boy's Home for the less fortunate, senior citizen's home and the Bishop's house are all in the campus of the church.

The beauty of Holy Trinity Church is not alone in it's tall tower and unparalleled pillars but also in its high class statues, of generals and other officials, mural tablets and memorials inside. The Holy Trinity Church is certainly a massive and majestic piece of architectural gandeur. The decorative memorials and articles inside are `history in stone' that speak the stories of great men and women. If one goes to the tower of the Church one can admire the strength of the structure, the solidarity of the wooden ladders and the view of the beautiful city of Bangalore. We learnt that the Cross which surmounts, it was the present by the Queen Victoria's Own West Kent Regiment. `In memory of those who died whilst this Unit was in Bangalore' (1928-32). Many of the older monuments were also made in London by famous firms, the most beautiful being the one of the young Soldier in full uniform, in memory of Lieut. Augustus Croft Dobree, who died in 1867, aged 22.

There was also another wall monument of Gen. Clement Delves Hill, clad in the garments of ancient Rome, who died on January 20th, 1845 by the Gersoppa Falls. His brother was a famous commander of the peninsular war. Another monument To Arabella, the wife of Lt. Gen. Sir James Wolfe Murray had full Latin stanzas from Virgil inscribed on it. Some told of tragic occurrences. Maj. Gen. Faunce was lost when, after the campaign in Burma, his vessel was found in the Bay of Bengal, and in the same month his wife died on her voyage to England. Their married daughter died in Tellicherry a few weeks later. There are many more tablets and memorials which speak about the great people who toiled and equipped this House of God. The stained glass which depicts the baptism of Jesus in splendid color is a rare piece;

The three pairs of angels which are carved in wood of the roof which is above the Choir pews and the altar, symbolizes the angels guarding the Holy of Holies. Indeed it is a marvelous workmanship.

Holy Trinity Church Photo Gallery

{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="HolyTrinity Church" caption="HolyTrinity Church"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/HolyTrinityChurch/{/boncko}

Read more...

St. Andrew's Kir: Cubon Road - Christian

St. Andrew's Kir: Cubon Road - Christian

The only Scottish Kirk in Bangalore, situated on Cubon Road parallel to MG Road contains stained glass windows depicting Lord Jesus and his eight apostles. A pipe organ was also installed here in 1881. The walls are adorned with polished brass plaques. There is also a plaque of John Cook, the Principal of Central College in Bangalore in 1915.
The St. Andrew's Church belongs to the Presbyterian background from the Church of Scotland, nurtured by the Calvinistic division of the early Protestant Church formed after the reformation period. It is primarily and in totally so, because of the fact that the early worshippers responsible for bringing up such a Church were mostly 19th century Scottish regiment soldiers and a few Scot civilians whose faith in the Presbyterian background was the basis for establishing the same in Bangalore.
A giving Church , it has been so bountifully blessed with the Grace of God both in membership and finance, over the past few decades. The corporate society at large, in the Church has been elite, affluent, influential, educated and cosmopolitan in outlook, deserving its rank to be 'A' grade in all walks of lofe at all times since its inception, with the only change conspicuous to peruse , that a congregation of western origin has remolded itself into a multilingual Indian Church over a period of time retaining its identity as one congregation on the whole. Really a marvelous change over without sacrificing the ideals it stood for from the beginning! There had been no change in the denominational affiliation since 25 years : its beliefs, practices and traditions remain unaltered even today . The attitude of the members towards the religion has been based on a deep-rooted tradition, personal commitment and to a lesser extent on out-reach work, in the earlier days . the Church had a school started in the year 1876 mostly for non-nationals and had to be closed down subsequently due to insufficient response and encouragement. However the seed sown thus remained dormant for nearly hundred years to experience a stupendous growth later when St. Andrew's School was re-established this time for the under-privileged children in a slum area in the year 1977.
A new awakening about its mission to the poor and down-trodden has dawned in the annals has started responding to this mission rhythmically. The renaissance of social activity or the outreach work of the Church bloomed into execution with the formation of a registered Socio-economic Development Society in the year 1976 under the thoughtful initiation and leadership of the then Presbyter-in-Charge Rev. S. A. Salins who steered the Pastorate Committee into such a course of benevolent action and involvement for the Church to have a sincere concern for the poor and the downtrodden-underprivileged otherwise to have such an educational facility in a slum area.
The prime objective of the Society is to serve the poor in the slum and to improve their socio-economic conditions. The Siddapura Slum where 1000 families live in small one-room huts was chosen as the centre for Church's out-reach work, taken up with the three specific objectives of imparting education, providing and atmosphere of better health and thereby making the congregation members of the Church feel their individual participation in the struggles of the poor.
http://lekid.blogspot.com/2006/07/st-andrews-kirk.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2960/andewch.htm


Read more...

Infant Jesus Church: Vivek Nagar –Christian

Infant Jesus Church: Vivek Nagar –Christian

A place happen lots of miracles. prayers are never failed. Visit once or, ask the community to pray. all group will pray for you!
The Church has a long history of sacrifice and devotion from the time it was first conceived by Fr Paul Kinatukara in the sixties. In April 1970, the foundation was laid by Rev.Dr.Lourduswamy, the then Archbishop of Bangalore, with absolutely nothing to get started.It was Fr. L. Peter who set out on a daunting mission to establish the church on a firm footing. Persisting faith and courage prevailed and finally the present church was opened in the year 1979, despite gruelling obstacles. The most noticeable feature of the church is the secular nature of the devotees.
The Infant Jesus Church was recently rebuilt making it the biggest church in Karnataka. The newly built Church, a popular pilgrimage centre at Viveknagar in Bangalore was on inaugurated by Dr Bernard Moras, Archbishop of Bangalore on June 10, 2005.
Representative of the Vatican in India Dr Pedro Lopez Quintana dedicated the new church at a Eucharistic celebration.
In terms of accommodating the number of people, this is the largest church in Karnataka. With 312 benches, it can seat about 3,500 persons inside the worship hall and another 5,000 people in the open podium area.
On January 14th, 2002 The Foundation stone for the new Infant Jesus Church was laid by his Grace, Rev. Fr. Dr. Ignatius Pinto, and the Archbishop of Bangalore. Inauguration of the church took place on June 9th, 2005 at 5 p.m. by Most Rev. Dr. Bernard Moras, Archbishop of Bangalore, Dedicated by His Excellency, Most Rev. Dr. Pedro Lopez Quintana, Apostolic Nuncio in India; Blessing of the Tabernacle, by Most Rev. Dr. Ignatius Pinto, Archbishop Emeritus, Archdiocese of Bangalore.
ADDRESS:
Rev. Fr. Martin Kumar
Parish Priest
Infant Jesus Shrine
Post Box. 4712, Viveknagar
Bangalore - 560047
India
Ph: 080-25301206 (91-80-25301206)
This is a community of devotees of Infant Jesus (Prague) Shrine at Vevekanagar, Bangalore, INDIA.

http://www.infantjesusshrine.com

{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="Infantesus Church" caption="Infantesus Church"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/InfantesusChurch/{/boncko}

Read more...

St Patricks Church: Brigade Road - Roman Catholic

St Patricks Church: Brigade Road - Roman Catholic

Denomination: Roman Catholic
The Parish Priest, Assistant Parish Priest and the Congregation of St. Patrick's Church wish you all a Joyful Easter. May the Peace, Love and Joy of the Risen Lord be with you and your families.

Programs for the Community of St. Patrick's Church

The Community Welfare Centre under the guidance of Sydney Mendens organised the 'Community Week" in October 1996. The Programs consisted of Inaugral Mass followed by a Tableaux, Youth Seminar & Fellowship, Western Music & Indian Music Competition, Rangoli (art on the ground done with the aid of coloured powders), Painting Competition, Essay Competition, Senior Parishioners' Fellowship, Collage Preparation, Living Rosary, Bible Quiz for Children, Blood Donation Camp, Parish Luncheon, etc. ... this year the program was from 20th October to 27th October. For the last four years the program has been a success in bringing together the Parishioners of St. Patrick's Church. Because of the size, the Parish is divided into seven zones, named St. Anthony's, St. Thomas's, St. Francis Xavier's, St. Joseph's, St. Paul's, St. Peter's and Marian Zones. Marian Zone has a good area covered by the Good Shepherd Convent.

Mass Service Timings

Monday through Saturday: Morning: 5.45 AM English; 5.15 AM Tamil; 7.00 AM English
Monday, Thursday, Friday: Evening: 5.30 PM English;
Tuesday: 5.45 PM Tamil
Saturday: 6.00 PM English
Sunday : Morning: 6.00 Kannada; 7.15 AM Tamil; 8.30 AM; 9.45 AM English
Sunday : Morning: 8.30 AM (English) Children's Mass; 9.45 AM (English) Teens' Mass
Sunday : Evening: 6.00 PM English


Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Patrick Digby and Asst. Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Vincent
Phone: 091 80 5599863 & 5587213
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." mce_' + path + '\'' + prefix + ':' + addy20089 + '\'>'+addy_text20089+'<\/a>'; //--> or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." mce_' + path + '\'' + prefix + ':' + addy6295 + '\'>'+addy_text6295+'<\/a>'; //-->

A visit to the St Patrick's Church, Bangalore is one of the most important among the things to do in the city if you have a religious bent of mind. Even if you are not so religious, do visit the popular St Patrick's Church, Bangalore to feel sanctified. It is one of the most important churches in the city and is one of the must see tourist attractions in Bangalore.
St Patrick's Church is situated on the Brigade Road. This church was originally built for Irish soldiers by Gail-Hot a military chaplain. He had spent eight thousand rupees for its construction. The Church was rebuilt in the year 1894. The church has been remodeled recently. However, recent constructions around the church and its frontage have obscured the majestic view of this Church.
The St Patrick's Church, Bangalore is one of the oldest churches in the city and is around 150 years old. The St Patrick's Church was consecrated as a cathedral in the year 1899. Father Chevalier was the main person behind the construction of this church, which boasts of a lovely arched entrance flanked by twin columns. There are twelve pillars in the church symbolizing the twelve apostles and this further add grace to the interiors of the church. The St. Patrick's Church in Bangalore is a prestigious one being an important place for worship and weddings.
The people who have grown up in Bangalore are very well aware of St Patrick's Church on Brigade Road as it is easily recognizable by its twin spires. Every Sunday morning the special services are held in the church. The calmness and majestic of the church is sure o make you spell bound. The services held on a Sunday morning are not much interesting for the priests as it is for the swallows that fly around the interior of the church. If you are lucky then may be you can also see the wedding rituals being performed in the church.Whenever you plan to visit the city of Bangalore, do not forget to add the St Patrick's Church, Bangalore in your itinerary.
For more information on St Patrick's Church, Bangalore, visit travel.mapsofworld.
St Patrick's Church _ Of the native Christians in Bangalore, the majority are Catholics. A chapel is said to have been built as far back as 1400 and Jesuit missionaries came in 1762. The residence of the Bishop is here and there are important educational establishments and twohttp://www.imagesofasia.com/Image/more.gif

15-K, Brigade Road
Bangalore 560025
Phone: 5599863
Landmark: Opposite Hotel Chancery
This is one of the oldest churches in the city (around 150 years old). Located on Brigade road, this church was consecrated as a cathedral in 1899. Father Chevalier was responsible for building this church, which boasts of a lovely arched entrance flanked by twin columns. Twelve pillars symbolising the twelve apostles add grace to the interiors of the church. The Church is a prestigious one being an important place for worship and weddings.
People who have grown up in Bangalore are aware of St Patrick's Church on Residency Road, recognizeable by its twin spires. The services held on a Sunday morning were interesting not so much for the priests homily but for the swallows that flew around the interior of the church, quite unmindful of the congregation seated within.

{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="St Patricks Church" caption="St Patricks Church"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/StPatricksChurch/{/boncko}

Read more...

St Mary's Basilica

Name: St Mary's Basilica

Location: Shivajinagar Opposite Russel Market Square.

Main attraction: Ornate Gothic style Church

This Church situated opposite the Russel Market Square was built as a small chapel in 1818 by Abbe Dubois, oldest Church in Bangalore is the St Mary's Basilica in Shivajinagar which dates back to 1685. St Mary's Basilica, in its present form was bulit in 1875-82 at a total cost of about Rs 30,000.but was later converted into an ornate Gothic style Church by Rev. L.E.Kleiner. By 1882 a fairly large number of stained glass windows from Paris adorned the Basilica, but were removed during World War II. These were re-restored with great care in 1947. The Church was given the status of a Basilica (then the Sixth in India) in 1973 through a Papal order by Pope John Paul VI.

Bangalore was not a big city those days when Christianity entered Srirangapattana the capital city of the then Mysore province in the year 1648. But in Hyder Ali's tenure Bangalore has seen its first Church in the Kalasipalya locality somewhere in 1724–25. When Tippu Sultan ascended the throne the Christian missionaries have to recede from Mysore. So the history of Christianity in Mysore is in dark till 1799. In the year 1799, when the British seized Srirangapattana from Tipu Sultan, the French MEP priest Fr. Abbe du Bois arrived at Bangalore and started restoring the Christian religion. He went around Somanahalli, Kamanahalli, Begur, Gunjam, Palahalli, Doranahalli, Garenahalli, Shettyhalli etc and visited the Christian populace there extending them the spiritual needs. He is the one first introduced vaccination in India and is the author of the famous book “Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies”. The mass vestments wore by Fr. Du Bois are still preserved in the church at Palahalli near Srirangapattana. He built a Chapel of thatched roof in 1803 at Bili Akki Palli or colloquially, Blackpally.[3] and offered mass there and that structure was called Kaanike Mathe Devalaya (which in Kannada means the Church of Our Lady of Presentation).That small prayer place is the location where the basilica is currently present. When the Bangalore Cantonment was established, a mass was regularly held by Father Abbe Dubois which was attended by both European and Indian Christians. In 1813, Fr. Abbe Dubois with the help of Britishers modified and enhanced the chapel and renamed it as Church of our Lady of Purification, Blackpalli. Till the recent past the engraving of the year '1813' was seen in front nave of the old church where the miraculous statue is housed. He also created a residence for priests in the same year. It was subsequently pulled down in the year 1832 due to communal riots erupted there. Later it was rebuilt and during the years 1856–1882 it was called in its original name as the Church of our Lady of Presentation. Rev. L. E. Kleiner constructed the basilica in its current form of a majestic Gothic-style church. This new church was consecrated on September 8, 1882 by Bishop Jean-Yves-Marie Coadou, the vicar apostolic of Mysore, in the presence of 35 priests and 4,000 catholic Christians of Bangalore. The total amount spent on the construction of the church including the pulpit and statues was Rs. 29,659. With time, the church of St. Mary's at Blackpally had become a parish and has overseen the construction of other churches at Bangalore, prominent among them being St. Francis Xavier's Cathedral (1851), St. Joseph's Church (1867) and the Sacred Heart Church, Ashokanagara (1867). The church was elevated to the status of minor basilica in 1973 through an order by Pope Paul VI. It was the sixth church in India to be elevated to this status. The area of Blackpally is no longer known by that name and it is now called as Shivajinagara.

In ancient days, there was a well known ritual of parading the image of Virgin Mary in the streets. Once, this procession was stoned by a radical sect. Miraculously, the people who were involved in this condemnable act were struck by cholera and died of the disease.

Later, St. Mary's Basilica Church, Bangalore, was again attacked by an atrocious group of people who set it ablaze. Every thing was ruined save the wooden statue of Virgin Mary. Today this statue is kept with great care in a glass case.

Apart from this, another statue of Virgin Mary of a larger stature was erected and placed in a Chapel by the side of the main entrance of St Mary's Basilica Church, Bangalore in India. Every creed, may it be Hindu or Muslim, Sikh or Buddhist revere it and offer there homage to it.

At one point of time, it was decided that the statue of Virgin Mary would be shifted to another part of the St Basilica Church in Bangalore. But the Statue could not literally be removed from its place. Hence, it still stands in its original place. Due to these miracles, St. Mary's Basilica Church, Bangalore in India won the position of the sixth Basilica in 1973.

Unique characteristics of St Mary's Basilicas Church, Bangalore.

  -   St Mary's Basilica Church in Bangalore is the oldest church and was designed in the gothic architecture.
  -   It has a vaulted tower and arches decorated with gothic paint.
  -   In 1882, St. Mary's Basilica Church, Bangalore was further adorned with stained glass windows brought from Paris. Though they had to be removed during the World War II, it was replaced with utmost care in the year 1947.

Weekdays 
06:00 English
06:45 Tamil
08:30 Mon, Tue & Fri Tamil
08:30 Wed Kannada
08:30 Thu English
11:00 Tamil
Saturday
06:00 English
06:45 Tamil
09:00 Kannada
10:00 Tamil (English on First Sat)
11:15 English (Tamil on First Sat)
18:00 Tamil
Sunday
06:00 English
07:00 Tamil
08:00 Tamil
09:15 Kannada
11:00 Tamil
18:00 English

Contact details:
St. Mary's Basilica
Shivaji Nagar
Bangalore G.P.O.
Bangalore-560001
Phone: 080-22865434

{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="St Marys Basilica caption="St Marys Basilica"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/StMarysBasilica/{/boncko}

Read more...

Chowdiah Memorial Hall

Name: Chowdiah Memorial Hall
Location: Malleswaram(Next to TTD Kalyana Mantap)
Main Attraction: Cultural Building in violin shape.

The Chowdiah Memorial Hall, named after the violin maestro Tirumakudalu Chowdiah, is one of the most prominent landmarks of Malleswaram. Designed in the shape of a violin, the venue is a hub of arts and culture, playing host to a wide array of events - ranging from classical music concerts, to theatre and drama, to prestigious quiz competitions.

Chowdaiah Memorial Hall is located on Sankey Road, in Bangalore, Karnataka. It was built in memory of the Violin maestro Chowdaiah K K Murthy a great lover of music and culture. This 1,100 seated auditorium is an architectural marvel built in the shape of a gigantic Violin.
Chowdaiah Memorial Hall, with modern acoustics including floodlights and spotlights, speakers and amplifiers, is a favorite venue for dance recitals, plays as well as occasional fashion show.

The CMH is built on a 275x220 ft. site at Gayathri Devi Park Extension below the Sankey Tank Bund Road. From the tank road, a bird's eye view of the violin shaped hall can be seen.

The work on the building was started in 1973 and completed on November 14, 1980. The total cost of the construction was Rs 36 lakhs. Grants in the form of loans were given by the State Government, Syndicate Bank, etc. Public donations and personal funds, have also gone into financing the construction of the memorial hall. Bangalore till then was served by only one such ultra modern auditorium - Ravindra Kalakshetra. Arts and artists in the State were further encouraged with the opening of the CMH.

The violin shape. Chowdiah and violin were synonymous. That is why it took a violin shape, the exact copy of a seven stringed violin, complete with strings, the keys, the bow, the whole works. It is unique for the reason that it is the first building in the shape of a musical instrument in the whole world. It is also the first ever memorial to a musician anywhere in India.

The CMH shape, the marble foyer lit with chandeliers, the false ceiling of the foyer inscribed with music notations and figures of the violin, the cymbal, the drum, the glass ceiling of the curved stem lit with concealed lights, the highlighting of the violin contour by halogen lamps, the strings coated with luminous paints and lighted by rays from black-wood lamps to give a special effect, the fountains, the garden surrounding the building, all add grandeur to the Hall. In front of the foyer and in the compound of the CMH, a beautiful and well-maintained garden adds glory to the building.

Two decades are over since it was opened and CMH is a high-profile functional cultural centre in Bangalore. Many prestigious educational institutions and other commercial organisations as well, hold their cultural and entertainment programmes here. It is well suited for even seminars and university convocation ceremonies. In fact, it has become a custom for Bangalore University to hold their convocations here.

CMH has a very big stage with fully equipped green rooms on either side. It is also suitable for dramas, dance, opera, ballet, music concerts, screening of newsreels, film festivals, children's films, etc.

Some more Special features of CMH: Automatic power change over system to DG set - 2 Nos. 125 KVA enabling continuous supply of power to lights, sound and air conditioning, non-stop supply of water and canteen. Special Officer at CMH, Sudaram told bangalorebest.com that the facilities were being added and frequently updated to keep the CMH contemporary and to continue to provide the audience with a memorable experience.

Complete address
Gayathri Devi Park Extension, 16th Cross
Malleswaram
Bangalore-560003
Landmark: Next to TTD Kalyana Mantap
Phone: 080-23445810

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed