The Bangalore Rural District derives its name from Bangalore (head quarters town) and majority of the district consists of Rural Areas. The Bangalore Rural district is essentially an agriculture district but it has sufficient scope for industrialisation, dairy development and sericulture.Bangalore Rural District is one of the 27 districts in Karnataka. It was formed in 1986, when Bangalore district was divided into Bangalore Rural and Bangalore (Urban). Presently in Bangalore Rural district, there are 2 divisions, 4 Talukas, 35 Hoblis (cluster of villages), 1,713 inhabited and 177 uninhabited villages, 9 towns, and 229 Gram Panchayats. Proximity to the city of Bangalore has its own impact on the district, with a considerable daily commuting population. The rural people are mostly agriculturists with their other occupations serving only as subsidiary to agriculture.
Channapatna, a small hamlet 46 kms. from Bangalore on the Mysore highway, excels in lacquerware, a craft practised today by over 3000 local craftspersons. Lacquerware products include brightly coloured wooden toys, door curtains, powder boxes and napkin rings, besides a range of distinctive jewellery.
Shivagange is 8+Kms from Dabas Pet on the way to Tumkur from Bangalore on NH 4.
Distance from Bangalore : 50+Kms
Nearest Hospital : Shivagange, Dabas Pet.
Nearest food point : Shivagange.
Nearest Petrol Bunk : Dabas Pet.
The fort was built in 1501 by Mallabairegowda of Avati clan, with the consent of ‘Devappa’ a feudatory at Devanadoddi. Subsequently the name was changed to Devanahalli.The fort remained under the Avati rulers until 1747, when Mysore Dalawai, Nanjarajaiah, attacked the fort and captured it. Subsequently Devanahalli was usurped by the Marathas and reclaimed by the Mysore army under the leadership of Haider Ali.During the reign of Tipu Sultan Lord Cornwallis laid siege to the fort and took possession of it during the Mysore War of 1791.The original mud fort built by the Avati rulers was renovated and the present stone fort was built by Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan after they recaptured the place from the Marathas.
Kaveri Fishing Camp, Bhimeswari (Ramnagar)
The river Kaveri at Bhimeswari, abounds in a variety of fish including the Carnatic Carp and the Mahseer.This place is a protected area for the fish, as the anglers are advised to release the fish, after catching them. The wild beauty of the river and the countryside, are sure to hook any tourist. Cottages run by The Jungle Lodges and Resorts make this place a definite tourist attraction.
Manchina Bele, Magadi
This is about 36 km from Bangalore by road and about 8 km from the Big Banyan Tree. Manchinabele Dam is situated in the midst of hills and forests. Even though it is not a big dam, it is a good picnic spot.
Route: Proceed from the Big Banyan Tree via Chikkappa Circle. This reservoir and dam is about 15 km from the tree
In Kannada Durga means Fort (also Goddess Amba). Savan Durga being one of the nine such forts around Bangalore, is situated at a distance of around 50 kms west of Bangalore near Magadi.
This is also the biggest monolith in Asia.
There are several routes to the monolith at Sawana Durga, rising to the height of more than 1000ft, At the foothill there is a village by the same name and the forest around has been declared as Reserved forest and there is protected garden of the Herbs of medicinal interest
Mekedaatu in Kanakapura Taluk
It is about 90 km from Bangalore via Kanakapura. Mekedatu means goat's leap in Kannada. Mekedatu is a beautiful picnic spot where the rivers Cauvery and Arkavathi after their confluence at the Sangam, squeeze though a narrow gorge. Gushing waters, imposing landscapes, and untouched picnic spots is what Mekedatu is all about. The Cauvery river squeezing through a narrow gorge before traversing its south-bound terrain is a breathtaking sight.