Menu

Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain

Name : Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain

Location: T. Chowdaiah Road,Opposite Planetorium

Main  attraction: Musical fountain

The B N A Technology Consulting Ltd Created, Hong Kong, the Musical fountain of Bangalore was inaugurated in 1995 with work starting on it in 1997,is perhaps the most technically advanced and  the biggest fountains in India. Based on multimedia technology, industry standard MIDI interfaces and hardware architecture the Musical fountain in Bangalore has unimaginable features that enthrall the audience.
The programme-generated fountain uses unique binary control concept for obtaining three distinct levels for varied forms, a hydraulic system for producing the dancing movements and an advanced pumpimg system that can re-cycle the water. Moreover, the fountain uses everything modular be it the grid design, the hydraulic mechanism, the controller electronics or the grid design, making it highly adaptable for any further expansion, development and modification. Infact, with very little modification this Musical fountain, Bangalore can be turned into a more advanced portable fountain that could surpass many foreign designs.

Spread over 17 hectares of land, the park is maintained by the Department of Horticulture and includes a play area for children.At the entrance to the park is a railway engine placed in honour of the then Central Railway Minister, C K Jaffer Sharief, who presented the musical fountain.

The sound and light show together with the synchronized rhythmic dancing of the fountains is truly a visual delight, together symbolizing unity in diversity.Infact, with very little modification this Musical fountain, Bangalore can be turned into a more advanced portable fountain that could surpass many foreign designs.

With as many as 1000 nozzles, the fountain has 15 formations and 27 different combinations that’s a feast to the eyes.While the fountain dances to the musical notes, a wide screen at the backdrop shows the reflection of the multimedia show that is synchronized with the music for a wonderful visual experience. The beginning and concluding part of the show has patriotic songs like the 'Vandematharam' and 'Saare Jehan se Achcha' being aired while simultaneously screening the tourist spots of Karnataka and that of India These are interspersed with songs in Kannada like 'Sirigannadam Galge' and 'Jogada siri Belakinalli' together with some Hindi film songs, like Raj Kapoor's 'Awaara Hoon' and Amithabh Bachchan's 'Sona Sona', followed by thankful expressions to the Indian Railways for their generous donation. Saturdays and Sundays play a different tune altogether with Alisha Chinoy's 'Made in India'.

With a seating capacity of about 700 to 1000 people, an average of about 500 people visit on Saturdays and Sundays. Summer (April and May), sees the maximum number of visitors. The laser show, an additional feature, adds glamour to the musical fountain.

Tickets:
Adults - Rs10/-
Children between 6 and 12 - Rs5/-.

Parking facilities:
Bicycle - Rs1/-
Two wheelers - Rs2/-
Cars - Rs5/-
Matadors / Vans - Rs10/-
Mini Bus - Rs15/-
Bus - Rs25/-

Complete address:

Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
T. Chowdaiah Road
Bangalore G.P.O.
Bangalore-560001
Landmark: Opposite Planetorium
Phone: 080-22864125

{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain" caption="Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/IndiraGandhiMusicalFountain/{/boncko}


Read more...

Lumbini Gardens

Name: Lumbini Gardens

Location: Nagwara Lake Ring Road, Hebbal Kempapura, Bangalore, Karnataka – 560045. It is located near hebbal flyover and is on the lake front of Nagarvala lake

Main attraction: Amusement & Themepark

Lumbini Gardens on the Nagawara lake front near Hebbal is an exclusive boating and leisure complex with a variety of entertainment activities introduced for the first time in Bangalore. The leisure park is set up at a cost of over Rs 10 crore.

Lumbini Gardens is situated on the Outer Ring Road. It is located on the banks of the Nagawara Lake.

Lumbini Gardens is a wave pool with an artificial beach. Visitors without any age restrictions are allowed inside the gardens. The pool provides the best and safest form of entertainment. It also has a children’s pool. The pool is situated in an area of 12,500 square feet.

A modern filtration plant is used to maintain the quality of water in the pool. A specialized lifeguard is also employed through a master agency. He is always on the standby for extra safety.

A modern filtration plant is used to maintain the quality of water in the pool. A specialized lifeguard is also employed through a master agency. He is always on the standby for extra safety.

Nagavara lake which was lying in a dapilated state pre 2006 has been given a complete make over with Lumbini garden setting up a leisure and entertain park over there sure that the evening environment will be awesome. The park was inagurated in mid 2006.

The lake front towards the road has been beautified and besides the lake front chairs/chair - tables has been setup with shades. The windy and cool breeze from lake is soothing. A number of food stalls have been setup like Coffee Day, ice cream parlour etc. Children has quite a few rides to choose from. A wave pool which you can enjoy at a cost of Rs 75/person. An unique feature there is a hollow bucket like fish which when gets full splashes water on people standing/sitting on a platform so strong that it leads them to slide to the water pool below.

Take the boat ride. They offer a few variety in this regard. One can choose from general boat(Rs 30), Coffee boat(Rs 40, provides chair and table.Snacks allowed), Jet ski(Rs 225), peddle boat, cycle boat. The jet ski was not available then and I was told it will be back soon. I noticed during our boat ride that a few varierty of fish eating birds are also there around the lake. Entry to the park costs Rs 30 for adults and entry is free for kids below 5 years. Ample parking space available.

Professional lifeguards enable an inexperienced boater to enjoy these rides and also to ensure ones complete safety on waters. One can endeavour different boats and water entertainment here from two seaters to 15 seaters. An array of boats, a floating coffee shop and many more form an attraction. In the next phase one can experience the pleasure of being virtually on a beach at the wave pool.

The park has been designed to cater to all ages, children can look forward to a rotating Carousal or enter in a land of fantasy with the Vortex, a new invention in entertainment.

There is also a water-skiing device for thrill seekers, alongside an exclusive speedboat. There are a variety of activities catering to children who can enjoy swings, spanish bullfights and the like. Food courts and restaurants are also a part of this affair. A Water treatment plant with a capacity to treat 5 lakh litres per day is being installed. A nursery with 20,000 plants of different species is being developed.

 {boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="Lumbini Gardens" caption="Lumbini Gardens"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/LumbiniGardens/{/boncko}

Read more...

Cubbon Park

Name : Cubbon Park

Location: Kasturba road

Main Attraction: Historic park

The Cubbon Park of Bangalore has a history of more than 100 years. It has been a part of Bangalore’s landscape since 1870. The Cubbon Park, officially known as Sri. Chamarajendra Park, is an historic park, located in the heart of city in the Central Administrative Area. The park provides sylvan surroundings to the State Legislature building- the Vidhana Soudha, the High Court Buildings – the Attara Kacheri and a number of other organizations located along the periphery and within the park which constitute the Central Administrative Area. It was established in the year 1870 by Sri John Meade, the then acting Commissioner of Mysore. The vast landscape of the park was conceived by Major General Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of the State. it covered an area of 100 acres and subsequent expansion has taken place and the area reported now is about 300 acres. It has a rich recorded history of abundant flora and fauna plantations coupled with numerous impressive and aesthetically located buildings and statues of famous personages, in its precinctsAs a mark of honour to Sri John Meade, the park was initially named as "Meade’s Park" and subsequently it was called the Cubbon Park. Since the inception of the park, it was developed and improved by adding new structures and features. In the year 1927, the park was officially renamed as "Sri. Chamarajendra Park" to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri. Krishnaraja Wodeyar’s rule in Mysore State.

Cubbon Park is under the control of the Department of Horticulture. The Deputy Director of Horticulture (Cubbon Park) is responsible for the administration and maintenance of the park.

The colorful landscape of the Cubbon Park wonderfully brings together the rock cut statues and the huge canopy of trees. Cubbon Park is also considered to be a jogger's delight. Here you will get to see beautiful flowerbeds and shady trees. To help the visitors all the trees of Cubbon Park have their scientific names and ages labeled on them. Visitors can also take courses on pottery, aeromodelling and other things at Cubbon Park of Bangalore.

The architecture of Cubbon Park is also wonderful. British influence on the park becomes evident from the presence of the beautiful colonial style buildings. There are also the memorial hall dedicated to Aeshadri Ayer, Jwahar Bal Bhawan, the Children's Park and the Museum that you can explore on your visit to the place. The Museum here is known to be one of the oldest in India.

Cubbon Park, located 2 km from M.G. Road, expands across 334 acres of land.

Statues

The Queen Victoria statue installed (1906 near the Mahatma Gandhi Circle, the King Edward VII statue installed (1919) at the North-Western point of the Queen’s park; the Polyalthia avenue along the road from Queen’s statue to King Edward statue and the chestnut tree avenue from the Chamarajendra statue to Siddalingaiah circle lend a subtle grandeur to the park

The statue of Major General Sir Mark Cubbon near the terrace garden; Rajya Dhurandhara Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer statue installed (1913) in front of the Central Library and the statue of Sri. Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1927) installed in the central portion of the park near the tennis pavillion with a fairly fountain in the front, are magnificent structures found in the park. Owing to the different features and structures in the park, the Cubbon Park is a well-known tourist attraction.

 Band Stand at  Cubbon Park : In the good old times of the city, the band stand at the Cubbon Park used to bring about many cherished memories. This octagonal structure built in cast iron was graced by music concerts and artists renowned all over the country and abroad. Many musicians who have performed there rose to stardom. Over the years, the music notes faded away into time. Now an NGO Prakruti has been trying to revive this lost splendour.

Prasad M.S., convener of Prakruti, musicians have shown interest in performing at the bandstand. “The bandstand is booked for the next eight weeks wherein artistes, including Nandita, Pallavi, Supriya Acharya, C. Ashwath, Puttur Narasimha Nayak and Shankar Shanbhag, have agreed to give concerts.”  may be viewed by public and visitors too.

Major Landmarks at the Park’s vicinity
 Sir Vishweshwariah Industrial and Technological Museum : This museum a tribute to Sir Vishweshwariah, the visionary who brought science and technology to the common man in Karnataka. One can see an airplane and steam engine are displayed in its compound. There are five galleries dedicated to different scopes of science and technology. This Museum is accessible from the Kasturba Road.

Phone: 2286-4563
Entry Fee: Rs.15
Open hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

 Karnataka High Court : The Karnataka High Court locally known as Attara Kacheri is located opposite to the Vidhana Soudha. Attara Kacheri literally means "eighteen offices" or departments.

 The State Archeological Museum (also called Government Museum) : is close to the High Court with the same red colour and architectural style. The originaly built by Colonel Sankey in 1876, over the years several wings have been added. B. L. Rice of the Mysore Gazetteer is the mastermind behind the collection in this musuem.

It is one of the oldest museums in the country, it has an exquisite collection of coins, sculptures, old paintings, inscriptions and excavated items.  The Java fig avenue along the road leading to the Government Museum add to the grandeur of the Museum.
Timings: 10 am to 5:30 pm
Location: On Kasturba Road, Bangalore - 560 001.
Phone: 2286 4563

 Venkatappa Art Gallery : This  gallery host more than 600 paintings, which are on display throughout the year. There are  two halls, one showcasing  stone sculptures from the Mathura and Khajarao schools of art. The other,dedicated to pottery and clay articles belonging to the Indus Valley civilisations. There are showpieces from 20th century landscapes and contemporary art. On the ground floor, the paintings of K. Venkatappa,( born in 1887 ) are on display.

His works picturing the landscapes of the Nilgiris and Kodaikanal, a painting on Monsoon and various other sketches are feast to the art-lovers. On the first floor, the works of M. F. Hussain, Vasudev, Hanumaiah, Hariram, Rekha Rao, Yusuf Arakkal and N. S. Bendre along with various other artists are on display.C. P. Rajaram's exquisite wood carvings are also seen here. The second floor is the "Hebbar Section", solely dedicated to K.K Hebbar.
Timings: daily except Mon 10 am - 5 pm
Admission: Rs 10
Kasturba Road, Bangalore - 560 001 Ph: 22864483

Sheshadri Iyer Memorial Hall : It is presently the City Central Library building with an artistic structure worth seeing. Beatiful rosary located infront of the Library attracts many visitors. This onlooks many beautiful lawns that are found in the Cubbon park.

The Ringwood circle, lotus pond and bamboo grove nook are worth seeing. The avenue of Araucarias along with Canna beds on either sides of the road from the Library to Hudson circle is a beautiful view. The avenue of Swietenias in the Northern side of the park.
Timings: daily except Mon 8 am - 7 pm
Kasturba Road, Bangalore - 560 001.

 Aquarium : The Govt. Aquarium is in is an octagonal shaped building. This is one of the largest Aquariums in India, showcasing a variety of indigenous and exotic, cultivable as well as ornamental pet fish.

The Hocks stick, the Pearl Coushmi, the India Tiger Borb, the Moon Tail, as well as edible fish are a feast to the visitors. The Aquarium provides food for thought, but if you want to taste the fish, there is a fish stall here.
Timings 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m (Closed on Thursdays)
Admission by Tickets.

 Jawahar Bal Bhawan : This is Amusement park at the Cubbon Park maintained by the Government.  No child in should missed out on the Puttani Express ride (Toy train ride especially children) when visiting Cubbon park. This Amusemetn park host many game themes and one can find life sizes animals on the park premises.

Here at Sri Jayachamedra Hall conducts many shows for children. The Jawahar Bal Bhawan conducts many short and long term recreational and educational programs for children between the age 5 to 16 years.
Landmark: Near Cricket Stadium, Jewels De Paragon
Phone: 080-22864189
Timings 10am to 5pm (Closed on Thursdays)

Other Facilities : The Indira Priyadarshini Children’s Library, YMCA, Yuvanika- the State Youth Centre, Century Club, Press Club, Tennis Pavillion and a number of other offices are located in the park, few of them offering amusement and sports facilities.
 

 Other Gardens : The gardens of Vidhana Soudha, Vikas Soudha and Raj Bhavan, are integral parts of the development, conservation and maintenance of Cubbon Park. The Vidhana Soudha garden is beautifully landscaped on symmetric lines, complimenting the magnificent architecture of  Vidhana Soudha. The Raj Bhavan garden is well laid out and adds a colourful and spectacular ambience to Raj Bhavan.

The Dancing Musical Fountain, commissioned recently, in the LRDE premises on the Raj Bhavan road; the only one of its kind in India with a visual facility. It uses a unique binary control concept to obtain three distinct levels for each of its form. It provides high versatility in programming as well as in playback to various India and Western musical themes.

Timings of the show : Two shows are organized everyday from 7.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. each lasting for half an hour. It is closed on every Monday and Second Tuesday of the month.

Timings :
Cubbon Park is a public park with many Government organizations, associations and clubs in its locale. The park is open all the time. It has been declared a silent zone between 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m.

Cubbon Park Image Gallery

 {boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="Cubbon Park" caption="Cubbon Park"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/CubbonPark/{/boncko}

Read more...

Bangalore Palace

Name : Bangalore Palace

Main attraction: Speciality Beautiful paintings and old photographs of the royal family. A great place to travel back in time.

Location: Palace Road
Vasanth Nagar
Ph: (080) 23360818

From Mekri Circle, go down Ramana Maharshi Road (towards MG Road). Turn right on to Palace Road. The entrance is at the end of the road, just before an overbridge. From MG Road, go down Millers Road, and then turn left on MV Jayaram Road. Turn right onto Palace road and take a U turn to enter the premises.

Bangalore Palace, a palace located in the city of Bangalore, India, was built to look like a smaller replica of the Windsor Castle in England.It was built by Rev. Garrett, who was the first Principal of the Central High School in Bangalore, now known as Central College.The construction of the palace was started in 1862 and completed in 1944. In 1884, it was bought by the Maharaja of Mysore, Chamaraja Wodeyar.Now owned by the current scion of the Mysore royal family, Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wadiyar, the palace has recently undergone a renovation. The sprawling grounds surrounding the palace are used for holding public events including music concerts. Some of the well known international music bands and rockstars that have performed here include heavy metal legends Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Sting, Scorpions, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Bryan Adam.

Rev. Garrett, the first principal of the Central High School built this palace with a floor area of 45,000 sq. feet (4200 m²). The Palace and the grounds surrounding it are spread across 454 acres (183 ha).British officials who were in charge of the Education of the young prince Chamaraja Wodeyar bought this palace in 1873 A.D. from him at a cost of Rs. 40,000 and later renovated it. The palace was built in Tudor style architecture with fortified towers, battlements and turrets. The interiors were decorated with elegant wood carvings, floral motifs, cornices and relief paintings on the ceiling. The furniture, which was neo-classical, Victorian and Edwardian in style, was bought from John Roberts and Lazarus. The upkeep of the gardens was the responsibility of a horticulturist named Krumbiegel. A total of 35 rooms were built in the palace with most of them being bed rooms.The renovation included addition of stained glass and mirrors, specially imported from England, besides a manual lift and wooden fans from General Electric.[8] The Wodeyars used to own the palace till the demise of the king Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in 1970. In 1970 Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar is said to have transferred the possession of the property to two companies promoted by a civil contractor by name Chamaraju, close to the corridors of power. These company's were known as Chamundi Hotels (P) Ltd (110 acre) and Sree Venkateswara Real Estate Enterprises (p) Ltd ( 344 acre). But on the given date the company's were yet to be incorporated and there was no sale deed either. It was a fraudulant transaction. Maharaja's only son Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wadiyar instituted civil suit against this deal. But the Maharaja died in 1974. The legal battle continued and in the mean time Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wadiyar gave 28 acres each to his Five sisters namely Late Gayatri Devi , Meenakshi Devi, Kamakashi Devi, Indrakshi Devi and Vishalakshi Devi in 1983 along the Ramana Mahasrhi Road. They are in possession of their respective portion and many events like Rock shows, Exhibitions, marriages, Tennis, Cricket, Golf and Horse academy's are conducted in these portions.Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wadiyar ultimately compromised with the Chamaraju Group in the years 1990 and 1994, and got back his portion of the property including the Main Palace except 45 acres, which the Chamaraju group still retains along the Jayamahal Road. All along Government of Karnataka was making various attempts to confiscate the property under Land Acquisition Act 1894 and Urban Land ( ceiling & Regulation) Act 1976. Having not succeded in their designs, Government ultimately enacted Bangalore Palace (Acquisition & transfer) ACT 1996 under Mr. H.D. Deve Gowda. This dispute is pending before the Supreme Court till date.

 The elephant in the room

Can be taken literally in this case. As you walk up a highly decorated staircase, doff your hat to a huge elephant that's seems to have been around for uh...quite some time. And then enter the magnificent Durbar Hall. Tall ceilings, colourful windows, furniture from another era -- this was the place where the king used to hold court and discuss matters of the state.

Beautiful paintings

The piece de resistance of Bangalore Palace are the paintings. As you walk down the corridors, stop and admire the paintings by Raja Ravi Raj Varma and many other internationally renowned artists. A small gallery of nude paintings spice things up one notch.

Antique furniture

An old sit down-and-weigh-yourself machine (not working, so don't try it out!), a cooler to keep drinks chilled, wooden fans (from General Electric), and a beautiful blue garden bench from France are some of the exhibits you can see here.  And more elephant accessories -- dressing table stools with elephant legs. Also stools with legs of a wild bullock!

 Interior décor

The ground floor consists of an open courtyard containing granite seats covered with fluorescent blue ceramic tiles.It also contains a ballroom for holding private parties. The first floor containing an elaborate hall called as the Durbar Hall can be reached by climbing a decorated staircase. This is the hall where the king used to address the assembly. The walls along the staircase are adorned with paintings and the Durbar Hall has a massive elephant head mounted in it. One side of the hall contains stained glass windows in Gothic style. The yellow colour is used profusely and the walls and the sofa set in the hall are in yellow. A screen on one end separates the area where the ladies used to sit and watch the assembly proceedings in relative privacy. Some paintings of Raja Ravi Verma are also present here.

The interior walls of the palace are adorned by old paintings belonging to the mid-19th century, including some Greek and Dutch paintings. Some of the other attractions include a dining table belonging to the Diwan of Mysore, Sir Mirza Ismail. This table contained a mother-of-pearl inlay with Chinese lacquer work.

Renovation

Srikanta Datta Narsimharaja Wadiyar is working towards renovating this palace after he obtained the right to own it. The woodwork has been renovated and the ballroom has been redone. Even the brass-fittings and lamps have been replaced and the furniture has been newly upholstered. Out of the collection of 30,000 photographs currently present in the palace, it is planned that about 1,000 of them will be restored and put up for viewing in an exhibition. A room has been converted into a boutique where silks and other garments used by the royal family will be exhibited. The palace is open to the public who can visit it after paying a nominal fee. There are also plans to rent out the ballroom for private parties and to sell silk scarves, photographs and other articles used by the royal family to the tourists. Illumination of the palace and renovating the gardens using Mexican grass is also being planned. It took more than Rs 1 lakh to construct the exquisite Bangalore Palace during that time. The land where this huge edifice is located, is originally owned by Reverend Garret.

The entry fee to the Bangalore Palace at Karnataka is Rs 100 for adults and Rs 50 for children. For the foreign tourists the entry fee is Rs 200. Additional charges are taken for video recording and photography

Parking Enough for royal entourage, and more. Parking fees are nominal.

Timings 10am to 5:30pm. Open all days, except Sundays other holidays.


Bangalore Palace Photo Gallery


{boncko width="140" height="120" number="16" random="0" columns="4" openmode="2" imglink="1" msg="Attara Kacheri" caption="AttaraKacheri"  openmode="2"}/BangaloreOrbitImages/BangaloreDarshan/BangalorePalace/{/boncko}

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed